Rockford, IL – (ProLifeCorner.com – 8-30-2011 – by James - The Screwtape Letters is a satirical Christian apologetics novel written by C. S. Lewis, first published in book form in February 1942. The story is a series of letters from a senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, a junior "tempter" named Wormwood, so as to advise him on methods of securing the damnation of a person, known only as "the Patient".
Each letter is a masterpiece of reverse theology, giving the reader an inside look at the thinking and means of someone who is promoting evil.
Tempters to evil, according to Lewis, have two motives: the first is to strike fear, the second a hunger to consume or dominate other beings.
This is an excellent description of what abortion supporters do every day.
On the other hand, the goal of the Creator is to woo us unto Himself and to transform us through His love from "tools into servants and servants into sons."
It is the dichotomy between being consumed and subsumed completely into another’s identity or being liberated to be utterly ourselves that Lewis explores with his razor-sharp insight and wit.
For 25 years the owner of the Rockford abortion mill building has used various methods to promote the abortion business, intimidate pro-lifers, and ensure no child is safe from abortion in Rockford.
(ED NOTE: It is not clear what the legal ties are between Webster and the abortion business housed in his building, but for over 25 years his actions indicate that his involvement is more than just that of a landlord.)
Just as in The Screwtape Letters, we can learn from the methods of the evil one who tempts us to do evil, we in Rockford can learn much about the methods of a man who has been working very hard for 25 years to continue the slaughter of the innocents inside the abortion mill.
1. Disregarding the lives of one group of people leads to hatred of all people – The Rockford abortion mill is in business to end the lives of children in the womb. In attempting to defend this practice, Wayne Webster has put up signs in the clinic window mocking the children who are killed by abortion, calling women "whores", ridiculing people with HIV and other medical conditions, hanging rubber chickens by nooses that have offended African-Americans, attacking Christians, and making countless personal attacks on individuals. This is a clear lesson to all of us that if we begin to hate one group of people, in this case the unborn, it becomes easy – almost necessary – to attack and hate other groups of people.
2. What men intend for evil, God can turn into good – Webster hatched an elaborate plot to have the mobile ultrasound clinic banned from Rockford.
He used lawyers from one of the most powerful law firms in Rockford, along with some aldermen sympathetic to his cause, to launch his devious plan of using misinformation to block a new permit being issued for the ultrasound clinic.
The plan backfired when his lies were exposed in front of the city council.
But what Webster didn’t know is if he had not attempted to use lies and block the mobile ultrasound, pro-lifers would have run out of money in less than a month anyway. We were down to less than a thousand dollars in our ultrasound fund.
Because his devious scheme to block mothers from receiving free help made headlines in the papers and TV news, pro-lifers from all over Northern Illinois began donating and donating to keep the ultrasound coming.
God used Webster and his deceitful scheme as the most effective fund-raising tool the Rockford pro-life community has ever had in 25 years! You see, God does bring good out of evil.
3. You can try, but you can’t block God – In the past Webster would use amplified loudspeakers to try to drown out people praying on the sidewalk and those who are offering help and support to mothers entering the mill. More recently, he has used a dozen cars to try to block the mobile ultrasound. It’s a funny thing that the more he tried to drown out prayer, the more people came to pray. The more cars he would use to try to block the mobile ultrasound, the more mothers seemed to find it. Some people try, but no one can block God’s grace. We can learn from this that the battles to save mothers and children from abortion cannot be stopped because God is in charge.
4. Pride blinds us – Webster has literally put up hundreds of signs in his abortion mill windows over the years, attacking both God and human beings. These signs do have one common thread – pride. It is easy to see the motivation behind these signs is pride that viciously attacks everything outside itself.
God has used these pride-filled signs to show our city, our country, and even many people around the world the pride-filled arrogance that drives the abortion industry.
5. It takes self-delusion to commit evil - Webster has on many occasions said about the human lives that are destroyed in his building, "They are not real babies," "I’ve never seen a dead baby," "Abortion doesn’t stop a beating heart." When the truth is too awful to face, we have to deceive ourselves.
God is showing us that life must be based on reason, truth, and faith, or we end up deluding ourselves into seeing neither God nor our neighbor.
6. Money doesn’t buy happiness – Whenever Webster emerges from his abortion mill, he usually does one of two things. He brags about how much money they are making or shares some rather unkind words with the people praying outside. He always seems angry, sullen, bitter, or choleric. Webster is the perfect example that money does not buy happiness. Contrast the demeanor of Webster with that of the joyful pro-lifers praying in the snow, wind, heat, or rain, and God teaches us again that real happiness is only found in loving God.
7. The more a person attacks God, the more Grace flows – When a group of Catholic Priests began praying regularly outside the abortion mill, Webster responded by putting a devil’s mask in the window (and on one occasion even wore it), putting up signs attacking Priests and God, and using verbal assaults against these men of God.
God responded by continually allowing his grace to flow into the hearts of women so the numbers of abortions have been cut by more than half. The more people like Webster attack God, the more grace flows to the innocent victims of the culture of death.
8. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world -Webster is a man who puts up signs about the large amounts of money he has made from his abortion business. But in reality the Northern Illinois Women’s Center is located in a slum of a building and has the respect of no one in this city.
God is again teaching us that all the money in the world cannot change the fact that when we harm our fellow human beings, nothing can profit us except true repentance and the mercy of Jesus Christ.
9. Harming others leads to paranoia – Cameras in the trees, cameras in upper windows, cameras in lower windows, cameras on fence posts, cameras on ladders, cameras on the roof, cameras on a balcony, even a camera in a little hole in a wall he thinks no one knows about. Webster even CARRIES a camera! As we have seen in so many biblical characters from Herod to Pilate, God teaches us again that when we harm others, we can never find internal peace.
10. The greatest or the hardest lesson is yet to be learned – After a few short years on this earth, we will all face eternity. The greatest lesson we could all learn from this is that God’s love and mercy are more powerful than any evil actions that have taken place in the hearts and lives of those who promote abortion in Rockford. Let us pray together for the conversion of the hearts, souls, and lives of those involved in abortion so this final lesson learned can be one of forgiveness, love, and eternal joy.
If no conversion, repentance, or change of heart takes place, the hard and eternal lesson that will be learned is too terrible to contemplate.